So I'm sitting at home in my parents house, recovering from having my wisdom teeth removed yesterday. I'm not quite situated in my new old home yet, but I've got my laptop and need to keep resting, so what better time to update the ol' blog...
Starting with the whole wisdom teeth thing. This has actually gone rather well! Now, I didn't *have* to get them removed, as they weren't causing me pain or discomfort. But my bottom teeth are crooked and I want to get Invisalign braces to straighten them out. My bottom wisdom teeth are impacted and coming in sideways, so those could become a problem over time. My top two came in normally but not quite perfectly either, and one has a cavity on it's side, so the recommendation was to get all four removed prior to getting my braces. I decided it was time to just get it done, though I was hella nervous.
The oral surgeon's office was nice and everyone was cool, the doctor had a pretty awesome demeanor and seemed like one of those guys who'd be fun to hang with in real life. I knew what would happen going into this, that I'd be knocked out as they took out my teeth chunk by chunk rather than pulling them out whole. My biggest worries were in being knocked out, as I've never been under anesthesia before, and then in recovery.
About anesthesia - let's do that again!!! Best experience ever. I freaked out a bit when they told me (right before) that they'd have me under IV anesthesia too (I assumed it was just gonna be laughing gas). But the nurses were nice and funny. They kept me talking and distracted as I lay down, and they started me out with the gas mask. "It'll be like you had a few cocktails, okay?" And awwww yeah it was. Forget getting me drunk again, hook me up with the nitrous oxide. I was surprised with how effective that was. We were laughing about something when the nurse got my arm with the IV anesthesia and I distinctly remember saying "Ow, you tricked me" while still laughing, to which she questioned, "Nuh-uh, how'd I trick you?"... She had me stumped, so I laughed some more and then clarified that she distracted me. Oh, and then she thought the logo on my polo was an "ass", to which the other nurse laughed and correctly noted it was a bulldog. More laughs ensued. I was then asked what kind of music I like... I replied "everything", but when asked about a favorite, I went with Foo Fighters... and then moments later, it started playing! I don't know from where, but I was stoked and thanked them for the awesome tunes. I'm sure I would've started singing along if I'd been alert long enough...
But then I passed out, apparently. Because the next thing I remember was waking up in another room on a recovery bed, and a nurse telling me "you did it!" The rest of the time was woozy, as my dad came in to get instructions on post-op care, and then they wheelchaired me back to the SUV. I passed out on the drive home, and then just rested once home. Got hooked up with Jamba Juice, took my meds, had gauze stuffed in my mouth, but the night went really well. I took the Ibuprofen and antibiotics, but no need for Vicodin at all. Very stoked about how I feel right now - like I totally could be at work even, but I'm glad to have the day off to really rest. Still sticking to smoothies and soft food, and hopefully tomorrow back to working out, though knowing me I may try to do some walking and core work at least this evening.
I still need to do a final write up on my theatre experience, and that'll come later. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Glad it went well. :D
I want some of what you were having.
:)
Post a Comment