Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A reason I love SD...

...is because it's a city with renowned theatre in both The Old Globe and the La Jolla Playhouse -- theatre companies that both offer up the opportunity for young adults (under age 30) to see top notch theatre at discount prices ($20).

Tonight I took myself out (as I do from time to time) to see "The Recommendation". This was the world premiere of a play from an up-and-coming playwright from Juilliard (and with a small cast of three that also came from the school). And it was just a really fantastic play that I'd highly recommend - amazingly acted and executed with a simple captivating storyline. I won't go into a full review about it or discuss the themes -- I hated doing all that back in high school...

But I'm so glad that I went to see this. On the drive home, all I could keep thinking about was how lucky I am to be able to take these opportunities that the San Diego theatre scene has to offer, and being able to enjoy these types of premieres for top notch plays or musicals. If I ever end up anywhere else, it's gotta be in a city with theatre! I need my culture fix in the form of live theatre.

So, props to you, San Diego and your plethora of theatre options.

And I get to do it all again tomorrow night, seeing another play! (Oh, and I'm also glad to have two straight nights where I'm not called into rehearsal - that helps too.)

No comments: