Thursday, April 15, 2010

Free Concert!

So I haven't been to many concerts this year, and it's already mid-April. It's a little sad... I feel like by this point last year, I'd been to at least 8. This year, I've been to one, and that was for my bro-date with Chris to see Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. And I probably would've missed out on that one if it weren't for the fact that it was part of his Christmas present to me.

But I was at a free radio station concert this past Monday. I guess I don't consider it a "real" concert since it was a non-ticketed event put on by Sophie 103.7 in a (nice) bar/lounge at the Hard Rock Hotel. I found out a few days before the event that Kris Allen was having a free show, and that Sara Bareilles was opening.

Two artists I already really like, and it's free? Heck yes, I'm there! I was bummed to miss out on my Monday night hill run, but it was worth it. I went with Weezy -- and just so that any readers are clear, Weezy = Brittany, but I always tend to refer to her as Weezy. (And I'm KD. But that's another story.) We took the trolley down, expecting downtown to be crazy because it was opening day at Petco Park (the Padres won), but it was an afternoon game, and the concert was at 8. So we would've been better off driving ourselves. Lesson learned: check the time if there's a game.

Sara went on first, and she played a short four song set. I've seen her before though, and I really think she's incredible. Great vocals, catchy tunes, good stage presence and banter with the audience. But it was nothing new, I'd heard all those songs before. (But don't get me wrong - if she comes back and it's relatively inexpensive, I'm there.)

But I was positively blown away by Kris. I was a fan of his on American Idol last year, and you betcha I was voting for him. Not just because I was turned off by Adam's theatricality/vocals and didn't want him to win, but because Kris' style appealed to me. Since I started getting into music/concerts in 2004, I've been a fan of the acoustic singer/songwriter types. And I loved his song choices and arrangements on the show, and he seemed like a genuinely good guy on stage (humble and having fun).

Kris hasn't blown up on the radio though, and while I have his CD downloaded, I hadn't listened to it yet, save for the one single. So I really wasn't sure what to expect. But he got on stage for an acoustic set with one of friends accompanying him, and he had us with him the entire time. They may not have been shredding on electric guitars or had a drummer, but they rocked out plenty to some of his originals and some fun covers too.

Here's a video clip of him singing MJ's classic (with a good message at that), "Man in the Mirror"...

And here's one of his originals from his self-titled CD, called "The Truth"...

Not exactly rocking out songs that I chose to share here, but these were two of my faves... and I'll admit, I was man-crushing a little bit throughout the show. No wonder girls fall for guys with guitars! I should pick mine up again... anyways, I do have another "official" concert in the works though. I've got another bro-date with the OSF around the end of the month - heading up to LA to see a band he introduced me to called Sleeping at Last. Very stoked about getting to see them (as they're not coming down to SD), and it'll be cool to have a mini-road trip with one of my best friends since he's getting all hitched soon. (You take care of my man, TGO!)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

wait, you didn't like adam's theatrics? But, you LOVE theatre.

I'm so confused...haha.

I was more of an adam fan because of his talent. And he went to my high school. So I gotta support my team :)