Monday, January 2, 2012

And the year's word is...


I wasn't a super big video gamer as a kid, but I played and know enough that when I thought of a theme word for 2012, I was reminded of the following phrase from Mortal Kombat:

"FINISH HIM!"


The 10 year old me cringed at the cartoonish violence (and because I sucked at the game). 
The 27.5 year old me laughs in enjoyment upon finding the various "Finish Him" clips on YouTube.


(And still sucks at the game, btw.)

At any rate, I'm copying another idea and blog theme from the wonderful TGO Jordan, that of a "word for the year". 

And I landed on the word "finish". 

It was an easy one that came to mind. Take reading, for example. I'm really good at starting books... but horrible at completing them. Or even CDs - where a lot of times I'll get a CD and then get asked "so what do you think" and then have to respond "wellllll it's good so far, but I've only listened to the first 4 songs... but those first 4 songs are pretty good!" Or the whole bike riding thing I blogged about before... yeah, I still don't know how to ride one. 

Perhaps the word also easily came to mind because I'd recently read a blog on Jon Acuff's site about the very topic. You can read that here, if you want... http://www.jonacuff.com/blog/the-hardest-part-of-a-project-is-also-the-most-important/#more-923

So that's my word for the year, I've decided. Those ideas and goals that have come to mind in the past and will come to mind in the coming days/weeks/months? This year, the goal is to get them done and see it through to the finish.

Listening to: "The New Year", by Death Cab For Cutie

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Mortal Kombat really was pretty gory. And Finish Him is pretty freakin' morbid and twisted.