Saturday, January 21, 2012

You gotta know when to fold 'em...

...know when to hold 'em
...know when to walk away
...know when to run.

That song's about gambling, right? I really don't know. I feel like I remember hearing it during commercials for Barona Casino or maybe Sycuan. Anyways, so I was talking to a coworker on Friday, and usually whenever we cross paths we talk about the latest episode of "How I Met Your Mother".

And then I admitted it out loud.

"HIMYM makes me sad now."

It really does. After 6 years... the comedy just falls flat. It's been going on waaaay too long - at least Lost set a definitive end point and could plot its denouement. HIMYM still hasn't definitively set its own yet - though allegedly it's 2013 - so we're still waiting to meet the titular mother. I tried to deny these feelings in seasons 5 and 6, like I was clinging on to a relationship that used to be great... but now I can't help but think "get on with it, Ted."

I came to admit this to myself after watching last Monday's episode, when I shut it down after the first half. The episode just felt way.too.long and that was after only 10 minutes.

This struck me especially when compared to my new show of the moment, which I started watching it last spring when it came on as a mid-season replacement... and that show is "Happy Endings". I have that show on when I'm falling asleep, as I'm getting ready for work the next morning, and it never gets old! It gives me the same warm feelings and laughs that HIMYM used to give me.

So yeah... if you haven't watched "Happy Endings" (ABC, Weds, 9:30pm), give it a shot. It's easy to call it "Friends" set in Chicago (i.e. where I want my future home to be, except for the winter)... but I really feel this show stands on its own. And the cast is just as fun+tight. And it has Elisha Cuthbert from "24".

I just love this clip in particular because it just shows the fun the cast has doing scenes like this... and plus I think Eliza Coupe (who plays Jane) looks ridiculously hot at the :33-:34 second mark, with that smirk and the slightest of shimmys............ ohhh yeah.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

HIMYM is indeed depressing. The infertility episode was near suicidal! Geez!!!

I'm currently going through Lost for the first time...ahhhh!!!! It has me hooked.