Thursday, October 20, 2011

Drunken Post... ish...

WASSUP!

So it's past 3AM, NYC time, and despite having a lot of drinks (sangria, beer, cocktails and shots) I think I'm still pretty coherent and capable of spelling and typing things out in a readable format. We've had 1.5 days in Manhattan so far, and it's been interesting in the following ways:

1. Manhattan is HUGE. And that's only ONE of the five boroughs! But you have upper Manhattan which has the Empire State building, and then lower Manhattan which had (and will have again) the complete World Trade Center... it's like one ginormous skyline. There's so much to see and do here...

2. But I'm not super impressed. Granted, it's only been a day and a half that I've been here, but I remember going into downtown Chicago for the first time and being in awe of how beautiful the skyline was, and how clean things seemed (for a downtown area) and how "cultured" and historical the downtown area felt... I didn't get the same impression here. Right now, it feels like a bigger LA to me. As in, lots to see and do and a center of American entertainment, but a nightmare to drive through and seemingly pretty dirty and seedy in areas. I mean, a hot girl walks by and you want to offer a free hug? Really?

3. (removed upon the sobriety of the next day)

4. The bartender at our hotel is very cool... this is the second night we've been there til closing, and he's been giving us free shots... which is why I'm feeling all "wooooo" like...

5. Because we were at the bar, we've met cool people, including a guy tonight who expressed dismay at the whole typical American cycle where we make money and then spend money, but how he was over that and it wasn't making him happy. Man, can I relate... he's going back to Africa next year to work on the non-profit he's part of... he gave me the info to look it up, and I will definitely do so in the AM.

Anyways. Thursday daytime awaits!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

3. HAHAHA. Now I wanna know.

5. YEP!

Can't wait to hear all the stories!