Monday, March 5, 2012

Concerts of 2012 - #3: Saba and Ari Hest (2/24/12)


I think I'm definitely going to try and keep recapping the concerts I've been to this year, even the small ones at the intimate coffeehouses like Lestat's (since it was paid and technically in a room separate from the coffeehouse)... meaning I now need to go back and recap the last one I attended.

So on 2/24, I returned to my old stomping grounds, "The Gregory Page Stage" at Lestat's, to see my old friend Saba opening for national touring artist Ari Hest. For as long as he's been around (which has basically been since I started seeing Saba back in 2004/5), I'd never seen him or really heard his music, save for a sweet cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Little Lies" that I had... 

But he took command of the stage when he come on, in both posture and voice, and I was really impressed overall. A few other local singer/songwriters I know (J Turtle and Josh Damigo) were also in attendance and were just as entranced, along with Saba (who I'm sure has a little bit of a crush on him). I liked his voice/tone, and though he often tours with a band, he had embarked on a solo acoustic tour this time, and he was totally fine. He told a fun story too, about how he took a little break to become an elementary school math teacher in NY. He was a substitute, and they ended up offering him a regular position, but he realized he wasn't ready yet to let go of his love of touring and singing his songs to both longtime fans and new attendees such as myself.

Anyways - I definitely need to get some more of his tunes online, but check out a video to one of his songs here:


1 - Young the Giant - SOMA - 2/10
2 - The Fray / Scars on 45 - HOB - 2/16
3 - Ari Hest / Saba - Lestat's - 2/24

No comments: