Friday, August 26, 2011

Chicago in Instagrams - Day 3

The historic Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs! I'm not a Cubs fan (nor am I a hater), but it was cool to check out a game in an old school ballpark. Such a different feel than the modern era Petco Park.

Even the scoreboard is still old-school with people inside changing the tiles.

Then we went to the Sears Tower finally! We traveled up to the Skydeck on the 103rd floor in an elevator that shoots us up in about one minute. Now if only the Tower of Terror dropped us from such heights... anyway, here's a view of the skyline from way up, with Lake Michigan in the background. Such a HUGE lake it doesn't seem like a lake at all.
The Skydeck recently installed these glass decks that jut out four feet from the side of the building, so if you look down, you see 1000+ feet to the street below you. When I first approached the box, let's just say some... things jumped back inside of my body, as tends to happen when I even look down from a bridge because I hate heights! And then I manned up and stepped onto the glass... then sat down and smiled nervously for the picture to be taken.


Then we saw there was another deck (there were 4) where they took the picture for you, and I did what other families were doing... I jumped up! Though I jumped probably a tad too early, my feet definitely did leave the ground; I was probably just landing when this shot was taken. I tried to get my little 9 year old cousin (well, great-cousin?) to join me, but he was too scared to step on the deck, haha. 

We set out walking a bit and we came across the Art Institute of Chicago. Seriously, the museums here look AMAZING. Like what you imagine a museum should look like from the outside, complete with lions adorning both sides of the entrance. We didn't go inside, but I hope to before the trip is over. 

The famous Cloud Gate, aka "The Bean", in Millennium Park with reflections of the people and the buildings showing quite nicely.

Me and the parentals

The whole group's reflection as seen on the side of The Bean

And Buckingham Fountain at dusk... reminds me of the fountain from the Friends opening credits, but much larger and nicer. 

1 comment:

Ashley said...

this is great!! I wanna go on the sky deck :)